Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Why I Choose to Serve as an Americorps VISTA

I have decided to serve for a year in an Americorps VISTA position for several reasons. While I love direct service, my skill set allows me to be better prepared for indirect service by using my skills to organize a new program and get it off the ground. I have a major passion for education and its role in empowering those who do not get everything easily. Empowerment is something that is very important to me. I was raised in a family where nothing else mattered as much as getting an education, as the same type of opportunities were not provided for my parents. This love for education has allowed me to want to become involved in community development. This program allows me to bring my skills to the table and also learn new skills to prepare me for my future career and graduate school. I also think that my activist sense will grow during this year of service. I think it will help me really tune in to what areas I feel the most passionate around, and show me how to continue to be involved in this area. I also know that I feel the most empowered when I am helping others and I then in turn get to see them learn how to empower themselves and move out of bad conditions. I also find a greater appreciation for what I have the more I work with others who do not receive the same opportunities. These and other reasons are the main reasons why I have chosen to serve as a VISTA for a year.

I first started getting involved with service when I was 12 and entering junior high. My mom suggested I volunteer at the community library since I enjoyed going. I did enjoy it and continued for several summers. In junior high and high school I continued a major involvement in service especially student government, and some other student organizations. I loved helping my school, even though I never enjoyed where I grew up. I figured that I could change some of the things that bothered me about the schools then I'd feel more comfortable there and enjoy my time, and hopefully allow others to do the same. I've also learned that I meet my closest friends with those that I serve with and am at a point in life where I'm looking to make these kinds of connections again. In college even though I did not serve much due to having to work instead to pay for school, I did learn more about activism and how I play a role in it. It helped me realize how much I love doing this kind of work.

No comments: