Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My new life as an Americorps VISTA

This year I've decided to devote to the Americorp VISTA program. This program is under the branch of Americorps, the federal service organization. VISTA is different from what most people think of service, we do not do direct service like Americorps state and nationals but rather we build from the ground up and create sustainable programs around the country. I'm in charge of a brand new College Resource Center for the city of Flagstaff,AZ. I've lived in Flagstaff now a month and I absolutely love it, it's definately my kind of town, but more on the fun later!

My blog this year is going to take through my rollercoaster ride of serving to work towards the eradication of poverty, and as you guys can see I'm working in the education side of things. It's also going to be the trials of living at the poverty line, because as part of this program we live at the poverty line so we get a better understanding of the position the people we serve typically live in.

I hope you enjoy this year and see how I take my desire for change to another level. Enjoy!

No comments: