Monday, September 01, 2008

WII FIT, "usted, vos" and catering mom

As you can see this past week has also been quiet interesting. My Tica sister, Gabby has a WII and the FIT to go along with it. Well let's just say that she is completely kicking my butt at any game we try but the FIT was the most humorous of them all. Me and Gabby are now having competitions with the FIT so everytime she beats me she laughs and so now its a competition so any time I beat her it is the same way, so you can just imagine miss competitive having her sister beating her is not a fun thing so we've turned it into a friendly little competition ( you really have to visualize us falling over doing yoga and the hulahoop it's quiet funny).

The next random comments are the differences between the formality spoken here and what I've been used to speaking in Spanish. Everyone calls everyone else usted it is never the informal (friends/family) version of tu, even my Tica mom calls her daughter usted, I thought that was so odd. They had told me that they use usted here more but I didn't realize it was even going to be spoken between family members and close friends, vos goes along with that. I was always told not to learn to vosotros form of verbs because that is only used in Spain and you can get around without using that, well my teachers were definately wrong people are always calling me vos or usted instead of tu it's truly quiet odd when you are not used to hearing or using that form.

My Tica mom has been given the honorary title of caterer. She does not own her own catering business but she might as well have one, it doesn't matter what kind of occasion is going on she is always the one asked to cook. So she has been up several days really early or cooking through the afternoon for an event that she is in charge of. It's quiet nice to have the best cook as your host mom, and for all of you that know how picky I am should be happy to know that I have tried pretty much everything they have given me.

The rest of the group got here last Thursday and Friday we had orientation. Saturday we went and visited Poas volcano and La Paz waterfalls, I had already been there with my family but La Paz has been my favorite place so I had no problem going again and I had a great time. After we got back to San Jose I took the bus to San Ramon where we stayed when my family was here as they had there yearly festival yesterday. I got to see the festival which was a little disappointing but me and Jose Eduardo were laughing so much at it that it was still a good time. Our family friend Delia was also here so I had dinner with her and Jose before returning to San Jose. This week will be my first full week of classes and this weekend we will be going on another excursion.

I hope you are all enjoying the pictures and I will be posting some new ones in the next few days. Here is the link once again.

http://picasaweb.google.com/LuvLatinDance

1 comment:

mvelez said...

That sounds like a great, exciting weekend. I'm so glad you're enjoying your time with the Ticos and most of all that you are enjoying different foods! WII-FIT, too bad there's not a camera, I can just imagine you two! PURA VIDA!! Take care and God Bless.